Right behind my workstation here at the office is the big office TV. Recently, they hooked up a brand-new DVD player to the TV, for the guy who started coming in to do episode guides for my company's international launch.
What the guy does all day is watch episodes of old shows from the early '90s, like Spotlight
and GMA True Stories
. Of course, he also gets to do some of the newer shows, like Bubble Gang
and Bahay Mo Ba 'To
The funny thing is, I think I actually applied for his job when I first came in. And they were probably going to hire me for the job, too, until they saw my resume and realized I was a Computer Science graduate who went to UP and Pisay with much more experience in web stuff than any of their people. So I ended up being hired to develop the website instead.
I think that was the first time I really rued the fact that I went to Pisay. Maybe it was because I'm so sick of seeing and writing code every day (I still am, but I have no choice), but c'mon, what's better than a job where you just get to watch TV all day?
Call me crazy (and I probably am, considering that I'm posting this at 4:30 in the morning from the office taking a break from a job I claim to be sick of), but in my book, nothing beats that. Even if the pay were lousy and half the time you end up watching teledramas from the '90s, I mean, there's so much fun to be had with seeing bad fashion and even worse hair from that era. And then there are the little things, like realizing na mukha na palang siopao si Juday nung 1994
, or seeing Eruel Tongco play a villain on screen, or seeing how cute Ana Roces was way back when.
Have I mentioned that you get paid to watch TV all day?
Not only that, but I heard they'll be doing episodes of TGIS next. I swear, when that happens, I'd totally stop working, buy a couple of big packs of V-Cut and a Coke 1.5, and just watch TGIS right there at the office. Pucha, matagal ko nang pangarap magkabalikan si Wacks at Peachy noh
De Quiros on Edsa
"The fact that something doesn't turn out the way we expected doesn't make doing it unnecessary or not worth doing all over again. Or indeed, the fact that heroic action produces un-heroic results doesn't make heroism superfluous, or not worth embracing all over again.
"You'll hear some people say, 'I have no regrets, if I had to do it all over again, I would.' I am one of those who do say it. The reason is simple. At the very least, the reasons for which I took up the causes I did remain as valid today as they did then, however those causes themselves ended. You refuse to fight tyranny because you could always birth a worse one, you will see no end to tyranny. Worse, you will not move at all. Life is a risk even at its most calculated, every action contains as much the seed of destruction as it does of creation.
"The work of Edsa does not end with Edsa, it just begins with Edsa. The problem has never been joining Edsa, the problem has always been fulfilling Edsa. We have no problems rising to heroic levels to defy tyranny, why can't we rise beyond ourselves to build a better country?"
Naaalala ko ang mga gabing nakahiga sa ilalim ng kalawakan
I've been listening to Sponge Cola's "Palabas" this past couple of days. I'd actually been listening to this band as far back as three years ago (I think), when their live recording of "Crazy for You" (yep, the Madonna song) spread like wildfire over the P2P networks.
It's a cool version, specially considering they did it only for fun during a live gig. It's a shame that (I heard) they've stopped performing that song altogether, because clueless fans keep asking them if the song if it's an original, while others keep referring to them as "The Crazy for You Band".
It's a good enough record; I tend to like the songs I've downloaded and heard on their gigs before ("Lunes" and "Jeepney").
The next CD I'm probably going to buy is Mayonnaise's eponymously named record. They're best known for being champions at the Red Horse Muziklaban a couple of years ago, and their winning song, "Jopay" was also pretty popular on the Internet. The song is, of course, inspired by their (and my) favorite Sex Bomb girl (hopefully she'll choose to stay with the Sex Bomb).
I caught the tailend of the "Jopay" music video, and I was disappointed that contrary to some rumors, Jopay wasn't part of the video. Sayang.
Photos from Mark and Han's reception
(Pasensya na sobrang delayed...)
She looked really lovely that night. Makes me wish I weren't just another boy.
I have seen, I have been to places far and deep in my mind only to find comfort in your strangeness
Before taking this picture, humirit muna ako, "Yes, Oliver, makakapag-pa-picture ka na rin sa wakas kay Kitchie Nadal!" Even Cynthia cracked up at that one.
When we entered Conspiracy, Oli asked me why I had been there before. "'Tang ina, pare, poser kasi ako eh." But Conspiracy is such a wonderful place, and Cynthia is such a great artist. It was quite a Saturday night for us.
And hearing her sing "Comfort in Your Strangeness" live is quite an experience. Leks, Oli, Jonas and I ended up asking her to pose for a photo with us, like the fanboys that we are. Ais, Sarah, and Cherry didn't bother. Probably because they didn't have as much alcohol as we did :p
I normally don't like posting forwarded stuff, but this one's really good. Highlighted my favorite items.
Ito ang mga huling taon ng dekada '80 at ang mga unang taon ng dekada '90. Ito ang panahong uso pa ang makiuso. Kung ginagaya mo ang style ng mga artista, hindi ka tatawaging jologs. Ito ang panahong tapos na ang Martial Law, pero malayo pa ang new millennium. Hindi pa high-tech pero di naman old fashioned. Saktong-sakto lang!
Ito ang panahon natin. Pero paano mo malalaman kung kabilang ka sa henerasyong ito? Narito ang listahan na makapagpapatunay if you're one of us. R U?
1. Paborito mong panoorin ang Shaider, Bio-man, Maskman, Mask Rider Black, Machine Man at kung ano-anong TV sitcom ng Japan na isinalin sa Tagalog. Break muna sa mga laro kapag alas singko na ng hapon tuwing Sabado dahil panahon na para sa superhero marathon.
2. Alam mo ang jingle ng Nano-Nano (isang kending lasang champoy)
3. Nanood ka ng Takeshi's Castle at naniwala kang si Anjo Yllana talaga si Takeshi at si Smokey Manaloto ang kanyang alalay. (Pinagiisipan mo - pano sila lumalaban sa final challenge na parang nakasakay sila sa isang bumpcar at nagbabarilan sila gamit ang water gun gayong sa Japan ginagawa yun eh taga Pilipinas sila?)
4. Alam mo ang pa-contest ng Kool 106 na uulit-ulitin mong bigkasin ang "Kool 106, Kool 106" hanggang maubusan ka ng hininga.
5. Naglaro ka ng Shake-Shake Shampoo, Monkey-Monkey-Annabelle, prikidam 123, Langit-Lupa-Impyerno, Syato, Luksong-Tinik, Luksong-Baka, 10-20 at kung ano-ano pang larong nakakapagod.
6. Pumunta ang mga taga- MILO sa skul niyo at namigay sila ng samples na nakalagay sa plastic cup na kasing laki nung sa maliit na ice cream. (at nagtaka ka, bakit hindi ganito ang lasa ng MILO kapag tinitimpla ko sa bahay namin?)
7. May malaking away ang mga METAL (mga punks na naka itim) at mga HIPHOP (mga taong naka maluwang na puruntong na kahit Makita na ang dalawang bundok.)
Nag-aabangan sa mall na may dalang baseball bat at kung anu-ano pang mga sandata. Sikat ang kasabihang "PUNKS NOT DEAD!" pero kung gusto mong mag play safe, pwede mong tawagin ang sarili mong HIPTAL.
8. Alam mo ang universal uwian song na "Uwian na!" na kinakanta sa tono na parang doon sa kinakasal.
9. Nagpauto ka sa Batibot pero hindi sa ATBP.
10. Nakipag-away ka para makapaglaro ng brick game. (hi-tech na yun noon)
11. Ang "text" noon ay mga 1"x1.5" na karton na may mga drawing ng pelikulang pinoy. (at may dialog pa!)
12. Dalawa lang ang todong sumikat na wrestler, si Hulk Hogan at si Ultimate Warrior. Naniwala ka rin na namatay si Ultimate Warrior nang buhatin niya si Andre d' Giant dahil pumutok ang mga ugat niya sa muscle.
13. Nagsayaw ka ng running man at kung anu-anong dance steps na nakapagpamukha sa'yong tanga sa saliw na kantang Ice Ice Baby, Wiggle It, Pray at Can't Touch This.
14. Hindi ka gaanong mahilig sa That's Entertainment at pinapanood mo lang ito tuwing Sabado kung saan nagpapagandahan ng production numbers ang Monday hanggang Friday group. (at badtrip ka sa Wednesday group dahil pinakabaduy lagi ang performance nila!)
15. Napaligaya ka ng maraming pinoy bands tulad ng Yano, Rivermaya, Grin Department, Tropical Depression, The Teeth, The Youth, After Image, Orient Pearl, The Dawn, Alamid, Wolfgang, at ang sikat na sikat na Eraserheads. (at aminin mong nakinig ka ng Siakol!)
16. Kilala mo ang Smokey Mountain (first and second generation)
17. Hindi pa uso noon ang sapatos na may gulong. Noon, astig ka kapag umiilaw ang swelas ng sapatos mo tuwing ia-apak mo ito. Tinawag rin itong "Mighty Kid"
18. Kung lalaki ka, sikat na sikat sa'yo ang mga larong text, jolens, dampa (mga unang anyo ng pustahan), saranggola at ang dakilang manika niyo ay si GI-JOE with alipores.
19. Kung babae ka naman, ang mga laro mo with you're girlfriends ay luto-lutuan, bahay-bahayan, doktor-doktoran, at kung anu-ano pang pagkukunwari . ang dakilang manika mo ay si Barbie. (Sikat ka kung meron kang bahay, kotse at kabaong ni Barbie.)
20. Naniwala kang original ang isang cap kapag may walong tahi sa visor nito.
21. Swerte ka kapag panghapon ka dahil masusubaybayan mo ang mga kapanapanabik na kaganapan sa mga paborito mong cartoon shows tuwing umaga tulad ng Cedie, Sarah, at Dog of Flanders a.k.a. Nelo. (Hindi ka ba nagtataka na sa lahat ng mga bida sa cartoons na ito, si Nelo lang ang di yumaman at namatay pa ng maaga)
22. Alam mo ang ibig sabihin ng "TIME FIRST!"
Bakit kaya ganon? Kahit sang lupalop ka ng Pilipinas naroon, eh nakaka -relate ka sa mga pinagsasasabi ko. Siguro'y dahil wala pang cable at kakaunti lang ang pagpipiliang channels kaya parepareho tayo ng pinapanood. Maaaring wala pang Playstation kaya kung anu-ano na lang ang naiimbentong laro na pwedeng gawin sa kalsada o sa isang bakanteng lote. Pero kung ano man ang dahilan sa pagkaparepareho natin ng karanasan, masaya na rin akong naging bata ako sa panahong ito. Masarap alalahanin at balik-balikan. Di ba?
Random 10 songs
** actually wala akong mp3 sa computer ko... so mamimili na lang ako ng kanta na pinakikinggan ko galing sa mga CD ko (at sa PC sa office na may mp3)
1. Bridge - Kahit Na
2. Sandwich - Nahuhulog
3. Cambio - Ledgeboy
4. The Killers - Mr. Brightside
5. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
6. Sugarfree - Hari ng Sablay
7. OutKast - Roses
8. Twisted Halo - Breakable
9. Eraserheads - Sembreak
10. Jerome John Hughes & Kyla - Let the Love Begin (mwehehehe)
What is the total amount of music files on your computer?
What is the last song you listened to before this message?
Hari ng Sablay, kanina sa radyo sa taxi papuntang office
List down five songs you listen to a lot or mean a lot to you
1. The Police - Message in a Bottle
2. Eraserheads - Ligaya
3. Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should Have Come Over
4. Rivermaya - Ulan
5. Yano - Esem
Who are you gonna pass this stick to? [3 persons and why]
Wala tinatamad ako eh.
I am up to my neck right now babysitting Jennylyn Mercado-Mark Herras fans in our forums. Who knew they were that popular? May nagmumura na nga sa akin dahil dun eh, hehehe. Weird, sila lang naman ang mga pasaway.
But this is going to be a huge headache for us. I could just see it. My friends Karl and Mimi
(Peyups) and Lynn
(Female Network) moderate forums almost full-time, and God knows how tired they are of doing that.
Pero aliw naman. Natawa ako sa thread na pinag-uusapan yung latest controversy ni Richard Gutierrez. To paraphrase:
Poster #1: "Sinisiraan siya ng mga taga-Dos. Bading kasi yung Dreamboy nila eh."
Poster #2: "Oo nga, dapat ang title na lang nung pelikula, Dreamgirl."
Then when I told Lynn about it, she added: "Or better yet, may subtitle: Dreamboy (Sana Nga Lalake Siya)."