Tuesday, March 28, 2006

School boy

My workmates have been giving me a hard time all day because I came in to work in a long-sleeved shirt and black shoes. Everyone who saw me today had a wisecrack about my appearance because, as Jio put it, "Sanay kasi kaming nakikita kang naka-tsinelas lang eh." The funniest wisecrack (as usual) came out of Bonbon, who asked, "O, Jaemark, grumaduate ka ba kanina?" To which Darwin later added, "Baka galing sa Baccalaureate Mass."

Actually, hindi ko lang masabi, mag-d-D.I. ako mamayang gabi.

I actually came from an interview for my graduate school application. Everyone else there actually wore spiffier clothing than I did, with neckties and everything. I almost cracked up when I saw that the professor who was going to interview me was wearing a very comfortable worn-out short-sleeved plaid polo.

I did well enough in what wasn't much of an interview, lasting only fifteen minutes. Probably not even worth wearing a long-sleeved shirt on a hot summer day for, or even a day's worth of ribbing from my workmates :p


While in the waiting room moments before my interview, I was thinking about what I was getting myself into. It's certainly something I've thought about doing for the longest time, ever since I first started working. It was something I thought I'd be doing some time in the future, and this was something I casually mentioned during job interviews, probably leaving my would-be employers more impressed than they ought to be, thinking Oh good, this kid's got ambition. Soo not true.

In my mind, though, grad school was always in my future. But the thing with this future stuff is, it comes much sooner than you expect, and when you get there you just have to go out and do it. Which is why I was sitting there in the waiting room with only the vaguest idea what I was getting myself into.

So I made up a list of reasons why I was going into grad school:

-- I won't be available anymore, or at least, not as much. See, among my friends (and to a certain extent, among people at work), I'm the guy who's always available, and every other person is busy for some good, valid reason, like kids, girlfriends, some semblance of a life, etc. I won't have any of those, but at least I'd get to say, "Oh, I can't... I'm busy."

-- I could eat at Mang Jimmy's after class.

-- It's my last chance to get good grades. See, I've never been an honor student in my life, mostly because I've always been too lazy to put in the work required to get great grades. Maybe this will be my opportunity to make up for all of that. But I probably won't :p

-- I'd finally be a student at Diliman.

-- I could get myself a new UP ID. I lost my old UPLB ID during junior year, and I never got around to getting myself a new one until I finished school.

-- I'll get to write my old student number again. I know this sounds weird, but a couple of weeks ago, while passing my application form, the nice lady at the admissions office asked me to write down my old student number again, and I swear, it gave me the chills.

-- I'm 24. It's a three-year program. While I feel good about being a young-man-at-24, I'd probably feel better about myself being a young-man-at-27-with-a-master's-degree.

-- I'd (hopefully) meet new, interesting people. New, interesting people are good.

-- There's always a chance that I'd meet a rich, hot chick with a nice car. Although I'd probably settle for people who'd give me a lift to Mang Jimmy's.

Comments:

you'd probably meet a rich, hot chick with a nice car. Thing is, she'll probably have a rich, a-hole boyfriend with an even nicer car.

 

hi jae, congrats! iniwan mo na ako... sniff.. hehe! :)

 

you'd probably meet a rich, hot chick with a nice car. Thing is, she'll probably have a rich, a-hole boyfriend with an even nicer car.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have no doubt in my mind that this is soo going to happen

 

sorry to burst your bubble, pero hindi na raw eat-all-you-can rice sa mang jimmy's =) God bless sa grad school! Ha! magiging grad student ka na rin!

 

yeah i heard about that nga.. nashock din ako nun, hehe. pero at least, makakapunta pa rin, i think i haven't been there in over a year!

 

syet! naalala mo pa student number mo!??!?....yuck, nerdy....actually, ako din---98-25570 --hehehehe:)

 

hehe urk, eh mas recent ka naman nag-graduate sa kin eh...

 

98-15160 here! Man, I love that number.

You went through with it! Good to know.

 

Sheesh! Wanna make me use that number more badly.

 

Post a Comment<< Home



ultraelectromagneticblog!
 

Weekly Top Artists - Powered by Last.FM


Subscribe to this blog

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Powered by Blogger

Listed on BlogShares

Pisay 98 Blog
Pisay 98 Website
Pisay 98 Message Boards

Bookish Bimbo
Brooding Pit
cartwheels seven times around the oval
The Ergonomic Quotient
Fire Light Song
For the Mail!
Garden Fresh
I'm ur pAL!!!
the jembunao experience
life, the universe, and everything
The Mighty Dacs
Pro Gamer to Programmer
Purple World
Riverwind
The Raven and the Stormcrow
The sad success story of the corporate slave
Sakura Mind Speaks
Si Yayan, Si Michel at ang Diwata
Sixteenth Floor
Verbal Diarrhea
The Wandering Geek
Whatever You
The Unbearable Lightness of Being Me

502 Bad Gateway
Across the Green Plains
ako? ako. ako. lagi na lang ako...
Anime West
The Buckfutter Blog
Contrast Medium
Locoflip's Xanga Site
Gaming Nookie
getting by...
Just The Type 2 Have 1
life of a kkmonster
karloCastertroy
the keep
Lock and Load
Memories From Dinner Last Night
Mic Olivares' Blog
Morning Has Broken
Paradiddles
Princess Toni's Enchanted Forest
Random Thoughts
So Lovely
Think, Pats! Think!!

Recent Posts

Madness
You've lost that lovin' feeling now it's gone, gon...
Love, actually
Knock Knock
Never Again! Concert for Freedom
I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me
Jackie
Heh
Vague
Los Baños

The story so far

September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from jtordecilla. Make your own badge here.


Home
Instant Pancit Canton
The Prose Portal
Email

A Dose Of Cynicism
Adventures in TV Land
Delusions of Grandeur
first draft
Freedom Sessions
Karmic Backstab
Indulgence
Perpetual Paranoia
Project Manila
Sky of Words
Small Furry Alien
telenobela
TravelKage
walanjo ka daril!


100 tears away
55 Words (and more)
Astig-Mama-Tism
Blogging from the UAE
Car Driver
Chaos Theory
Ederic @ Cyberspace
flatride.com
frances.effronte.org
Howie Severino's Sidetrip
The Life of an Earthbound Angel
Manuel L. Quezon III
Mimi and Karl Wedding Photography
moodswings
na(g)wawala
The New Online Confessions
nitpicky.org
No White Flag
Out of Bed
Pinay by the Bay
Rebel Pixel Productions
sablay.org
the silpur life
the sky sweetheart
Some Kind of Wonderful
Tapuy Moments
thinking about tomorrow
The Year of the Dog Woman
Weapon of Choice

Binibini
Clang-Fu
Four-point Play
The Histrionics of a Balding Drama King
i came, i saw, i blogged
intelektwal interkors
The Jason Journals
Mental Foreplay
Orange Pocket
Paiwinklebloo
Paperbag Writer
Peyups.com
Renaissance Girl
Seasonal Plume

avalon.ph
Bill Simmons
Dave Barry
Digg
Everything
Get Firefox!
Guardian Books
HoopsHype
I, Cringley
IMDB
Inside Hoops
Joel on Software
KDE-Look
Lawrence Lessig
Mark Cuban
Newsforge
Pop Matters
Reddit
Richard M. Stallman
Roger Ebert
Salon.com
Slam! Links
Slashdot
The Onion
The Onion AV Club
Wikipedia
Wil Wheaton